Federal Awards Harassment Policy
University Policy Number 4020
Related Law & Policy:
- University Policy 1201: Non-Discrimination Policy
- University Policy 1202: Sexual and Gender-Based Harassment and Other Interpersonal Violence
- National Science Foundation (Next steps against harassment)
- Notification Requirements Regarding Sexual Harassment (Frequently Asked Questions)
- 83 FR 47940 Notification Requirements Regarding Findings of Sexual Harassment, Other Forms of Harassment, or Sexual Assault
This policy applies to George Mason University (“Mason”) Principal Investigators (PI) as well as Co-Principal Investigators (Co-PI) that have received a federal award with a Harassment Notification Term and Condition (“Notification T&C”).
II. Policy Statement
The purpose of this policy is to provide for Mason’s compliance with the applicable Notification T&C. Mason and federal sponsors will not tolerate sexual harassment or harassment on the basis of a protected category in any form.
Certain federal sponsors require that all interim measures, administrative actions, and final dispositions related to allegations of harassment (“Reportable Events”) against a PI or co-PI on an applicable funded award containing the Notification T&C be reported to the sponsor within ten (10) business days. Some reportable examples of administrative actions if taken due to an investigation or finding of harassment are:
- No-Contact orders
- Alternate work schedules
- Assigning the complainant a new advisor/mentor/evaluator
- Restriction of management or administrative duties
- Placement on administrative leave
- Other measures initiated by Mason to ensure safety and reduce the opportunity for intended or unintended contact between the Complainant and Respondent at the onset or during an investigation
When the Office of Compliance, Diversity, and Ethics (“CDE”) receives a complaint of harassment against a faculty member or postdoc, CDE will ascertain whether the faculty member or postdoc is a PI or co-PI on an award subject to the Notification T&C. If the faculty member or postdoc is subject to the Notification T&C, CDE shall notify the Authorized Organization Representative (AOR) of any Reportable Event related to that faculty member or postdoc. The AOR is responsible for notifying the federal sponsor regarding Reportable Events at the onset or throughout the progression of the investigation via their reporting website. Allegations of harassment on the basis of protected categories and sexual assault at Mason should be reported to Compliance, Diversity and Ethics (CDE).
In complying with this policy and the Notification T&C, Mason shall at all times comply with its obligations to protect the privacy of Complainants, including, but not limited to, as required by FERPA.
To the extent terms are not defined herein, the definitions in this Policy are the same as listed in University Policy 1202: Sexual and Gender-Based Harassment and Other Interpersonal Violence. Protected categories at Mason are listed in University Policy 1201: Non-Discrimination Policy.
A. Effective Date:
This policy will become effective upon the date of approval by the Senior Vice President for Administration and Finance and the Provost and Executive Vice President.
B. Date of Most Recent Review:
VI. Timetable for Review
This policy, and any related procedures, shall be reviewed every three years or more frequently as needed.
Senior Vice President for
Administration and Finance
Provost and Executive Vice President
Date Approved: 4/10/2019