Mason Student Support Fund (Stay Mason)
University Policy Number 6005
Categorized: Student Policies
Mason Student Support Fund Procedures
Related Law & Policy: N/A
This Policy applies to George Mason University students who may qualify for Mason Student Support Fund financial assistance. The Fund’s resources are aimed at helping current George Mason University students continue their education in certain hardship circumstances.
II. Policy Statement
1. The Mason Student Support Fund financial assistance may be granted in certain limited circumstances to qualifying students. Only students who apply will be considered, and financial assistance will be granted only in extreme hardship circumstances.
2. Only students who meet the following minimum requirements may apply:
a. Must have been admitted as a student, and completed at least 12 credit hours of coursework, at George Mason University;
b. Must meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards as defined by the university’s Office of Student Financial Aid;
c. Must have exhausted all other sources of financial assistance, including all subsidized and unsubsidized loans;
d. Must be eligible to be enrolled during the semester that the request is made;
e. Must provide necessary supporting data, as it may be required by the university.
3. Applications are considered on a case-by-case basis, and the decision to grant assistance is based on extenuating and/or unforeseen circumstances that affect students’ or their families’ ability to contribute to pay the student’s cost of attendance expenses. Decisions made by the Mason Student Support Fund Committee are final.
4. Students may apply for Mason Student Support Fund no more than three times during their academic tenure at Mason. Priority will be given to first-time applicants and those who are approaching graduation.
5. There is no guarantee that funding will be available for assistance in any given semester, and the University may discontinue assistance at any time. The Mason Student Support Fund is not meant to provide long-term or full tuition relief.
1. The Office of Student Financial Aid will serve as the intake office for the electronic application, and will acknowledge whether the request and information has been received and is complete or incomplete. The Office of Student Financial Aid will:
a. Determine whether the funding criteria is met, and provide relevant sections of the student’s financial aid file to the Mason Student Support Fund Committee;
b. Record financial disbursements on the University system. This may be done by coordinating the funding criteria with an advisor in the Office of Student Financial Aid before the funding is made available.
2. University Life’s Student Support Office will:
a. Convene regular meetings of the Mason Student Support Fund Committee
b. Notify students of the committee’s decision regarding their application
3. Applicants may be required to meet with one or more members of the review committee to discuss their application. Applicants may also be required to attend a follow-up meeting with one or more of the following offices: Office of Student Financial Aid; Center for Academic Advising, Retention, and Transitions; University Life’s Student Support office.
4. To be considered for financial hardship assistance, students must:
a. Qualify for assistance (see Section II (2) above); and
b. Provide all documents requested by the University to support their application.
Apply for the Mason Student Support Fund online, at: http://ulife.gmu.edu/forms/stay-mason-student-support-fund-application/
A. Effective Date:
This policy will become effective upon December 18, 2015, the date of approval by the Senior Vice President for Administration and Finance and the Provost and Executive Vice President.
B. Date of Most Recent Review:
VII. Timetable for Review
This policy, and any related procedures, shall be reviewed annually and revised if necessary.
Senior Vice President for
Administration and Finance
Provost and Executive Vice President