University Policy Number 1144
Categorized: General Policies
Responsible Office: Auxiliary Enterprises
Policy Procedure: N/A
Related Law & Policy:
- University Policy 1104, Use and Reproduction of Copyrighted Materials
- University Policy 1111, University Publication and Printing Function and Policies
This Policy applies to all users of George Mason University’s print devices at all University locations.
II. POLICY STATEMENT
The Policy relates to the use of all print devices, networked or non-networked, to include but not limited to multifunction print devices (MFD), single function print devices (SFD), photocopying equipment, and supplies purchased or leased by Mason or managed by a third party for the University.
III. PERSONAL USE
MFDs, SFDs, photocopying equipment, and supplies are provided by the University for the use of faculty, staff, students and contractors in carrying out their official duties. Canon Solutions America MFDs and SFDs are equipped with card readers that allow students, faculty, and staff to use their Mason IDs to charge against authorized organization codes or against personal Mason Money funds. State funds may not be spent for personal use of these devices or supplies. Personal use is any use other than that required to carry out official duties at the University, including making personal copies of dissertations, professional papers, or other items. Such personal use may only be paid for with personal Mason Money funds at MFDs equipped to accept those funds or at any Mason Money Merchant. The location of these merchants may be found online at https://masonid.gmu.edu/about-mason-money/.
All George Mason University departments must comply with University Policy 1104, Use and Reproduction of Copyrighted Materials. The Print Hub, Powered by Canon (George Mason’s Print and Mail Services), will not make copies which would exceed fair use or otherwise violate copyright law. Duplication requests for copyrighted materials should follow the procedures found on the Print Hub’s website: https://printandmail.gmu.edu. A minimum of two weeks is required for copyrighted material to be researched and printed. All costs for researching and reproducing copyrighted material will be the responsibility of the person or department submitting the request or the end user of the material.
Managed print services are delivered under contract by Canon Services America, which provides print and photocopying services to Mason students, faculty, and staff. Departments may continue to use legacy equipment in their department until replacement is necessary.
Individual departments may not purchase networked or non-networked print devices (including, but not limited to, MFDs or SFDs) nor print supplies (e.g., toner, ink, paper, printer parts, etc.). In the event that a department requires print or duplication equipment, requests must be approved first by Business Services’ Associate Director of Contracts and Special Projects in consultation with Purchasing. If approval is provided and at the discretion of Business Services, Canon Solutions America may conduct an assessment of departmental printing needs and upon completion, Canon Solutions America can provide a customized solution to meet the needs of the department. Any exceptions to this process require approval of Business Services and the Office of Sustainability.
A valid Mason ID is required to operate Canon Solutions America-furnished MFDs. Non-Mason users can obtain a Guest Card through the Mason Card Office and at select locations noted here: https://masonid.gmu.edu/mason-money/.
Managed print services are delivered under contract by Canon Services America which provides print and photocopying services to Mason students, faculty, and staff. Departments may continue to use legacy equipment in their department until replacement is necessary. No individual department may purchase additional print devices, networked or non-networked, to include but not limited to MFDs or SFDs; all requests for print or duplication equipment purchases must be approved by the Auxiliary Enterprises Associate Director of Contracts and Special Projects in consultation with Purchasing.
A valid Mason ID is required to operate Canon furnished MFDs. Non-Mason users can obtain a Guest Card through the Mason Card Office and at select locations noted here: https://masonid.gmu.edu/mason-money/.
A. Copy Job. Requests for print or photocopying which originate within the University and are paid for through the use of state funds should be submitted through the managed print services digital storefront. Print and duplication requests can also be dropped off at approved campus print locations.
B. Off-Campus Copying or Printing. George Mason’s Purchasing Department has awarded contracts for printing services. Details can be found here: https://fiscal.gmu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Printing-Contracts.pdf.
- Business Cards must be ordered through George Mason’s Print Hub (Powered by Canon) or Worth Higgins.
- For all other printing needs, you must use one of the university’s contracted vendors.
- For all professional printing and finishing services that can be completed by George Mason’s Print Hub (Powered by Canon), it is recommended that users first reach out to and utilize the Print Hub.
- Orders less than $5,000: Departments must obtain a quote from one of the contracted vendors. The quote must be attached to the eVA requisition or confirming order.
- Orders between $5,001 and $50,000: Departments must obtain at least two quotes from the contracted vendors. The quotes must be attached to the eVA requisition. The purchase order will be issued to the lowest responsive, responsible vendor. NOTE: Departments may not “split” requirements to avoid the competitive requirement. Nor may a vendor accept split requirements.
**If the contracted vendors are unable to provide the goods/services required for a particular printing job, the department must complete and submit a Printing Waiver Form prior to purchasing off-contract printing.
C. Method of Billing. Chargeback reports are sent monthly to each department/activity by the managed print services vendor.
- Deans and Department Heads have the responsibility of ensuring that personal use print resources and photocopies are not charged against their departmental expense accounts.
- The Associate Director for Contracts and Special Projects, Business Services, will ensure that accurate pricing and correct web addresses are posted for authorized campus print facilities that can be found here: https://printandmail.gmu.edu.
A. Effective Date: September 15, 2018.
B. Date of Most Recent Review: N/A.
VI. TIMETABLE FOR REVIEW
This policy, and any related procedures, shall be reviewed every three years or more frequently as needed.
Carol D. Kissal
Senior Vice President for Administration and Finance
Mark R. Ginsburg
Provost and Executive Vice President
Date Approved: September 11, 2018
Revised: May 18, 2021