This policy applies to all George Mason University employees eligible for telework or remote-work.
II. POLICY STATEMENT
A. The following telework or remote work expenses will not be reimbursed:
- Private worksite or employee home expenses such as electricity, insurance, home maintenance, home modification for office purposes and other similar personal expenses.
- Purchase costs or maintenance expenses associated with employee-owned items or related services.
B. The following supplies for telework or remote work employees may be purchased through University vendors:
- Office supplies.
- Computers, laptops, or other necessary equipment.
C. The following telework or remote work expenses may be reimbursed:
- Internet speeds above normal consumer levels, when required for job duties.
- Other necessary or emergency expenses, when approved in writing by Purchasing and Accounts Payable.
D. Telework or remote work costs must be consistent with the employee’s work requirements and telework or remote work agreement. A signed telework or remote work agreement must be included in an employee’s Human Resources & Payroll personnel file before such costs may be reimbursed. Instructional faculty and members of the President’s Council, whose job responsibilities include an expectation of teleworking, are not required to have an agreement on file.
See Definitions for Telework and Remote Work listed in University Policy 2202: Flexible Work.
A. Effective Date:
This policy became effective January 1, 2009.
B. Date of Most Recent Review:
V. TIMETABLE FOR REVIEW
This policy, and any related procedures, policy shall be reviewed and revised, if necessary, annually.
Carol D. Kissal
Senior Vice President, Administration and Finance
Mark R. Ginsberg
Provost and Executive Vice President
Date approved: October 31, 2008
Revision Approved: March 12, 2009
Revision Approved: March 19, 2019
Revision Approved: May 18, 2021