University Policy Number 1109
- Poster Posting Procedures
Related Law & Policy:
- Policy 1110: Vending Sales and Solicitation
The policy applies to the posting of signs, posters or other materials (“Postings”) in the buildings and on the grounds of George Mason University (“Mason”). It applies to all University employees, students, contractors, employees of contractors, and the general public at all Mason locations, owned and leased. This policy does not apply to signs or posters that are required by law or official University signs or posters, approved by the University’s Office of Communication and Marketing, Environmental Health & Safety Office, Business Services, or Department of Facilities. It also does not apply to items covered by University Policy 1112.
II. POLICY STATEMENT
Postings shall be allowed on Mason’s property, without regard to their content (except in the case of content that is unlawful or otherwise prohibited by law), subject to the time, place, and manner restrictions set forth in the Posting Procedures or any specific posting procedures for a Special Campus Area, as applicable.
Posting: Any sign, poster, or other material, including but not limited to advertising or informational signs or posters, affixed to or placed on Mason’s property. Postings do not include signs or posters that are required by law or official University signs or posters, approved by the University’s Office of Communication and Marketing, Environmental Health & Safety Office, Business Services, or Department of Facilities. It also does not apply to items covered by University Policy 1112.
Special Campus Area: Any of the following areas on campus:
- Johnson Center building and Plazas
- Student Unions I building and Quad
- The Hub building and Patio
- Residence halls and grounds
- Athletic Fields and Field House grounds
- All recreation buildings
- All buildings and grounds, Arlington Campus
- All buildings and grounds, Prince William Campus
- All buildings and grounds, Mason Korea Campus
- Dining Facilities
- Postings must comply with the Posting Procedures unless they are in a Special Campus Area which has established its own posting procedures (in which case the Posting must comply with those procedures) or if a waiver or exception has been granted as provided for in #5.
- Special Campus Areas may establish location-specific posting procedures containing specific time, place, and manner restrictions for Postings in the Special Campus Area. Any such Special Campus Area procedures may not include restrictions on Postings based on content (except for content that is unlawful or otherwise prohibited by law). The individual listed below, or their designee, shall be responsible for establishing any specific posting procedures and reviewing and managing all Postings in those areas.
|Special Campus Area||Responsible Individual|
||Director, Student Centers|
|Residence halls and grounds||Director, Housing & Residential Life|
|Athletic Fields and Field House grounds||Director, Athletics|
|All recreation buildings||Director, Mason Recreation|
|All buildings and grounds, Arlington Campus||Director, Campus Operations, Arlington|
|All buildings and grounds, Prince William Campus||Director, Campus Operations, Prince William|
|All buildings and grounds, Mason Korea Campus||Dean, Mason Korea|
|Libraries||Dean of Libraries|
|Dining Facilities||Associate Vice President, Business Services|
3. Violation of the Posting Procedures constitutes potential grounds for removal of the Posting, denial of approval to post by the posting organization or person for a specified period of time, loss of access to duplicating services, or other facilities use restrictions. Charges for the cost of removal of the Postings and any associated repairs can also be levied.
4. Individuals should not remove or take down Postings, unless they or a group they are associated with posted the Posting. If an Individual believes that a Posting violates the Posting Procedures, they should report the Posting to Business Services (using the link provided in the Posting Procedures) or if a Posting is in Special Campus Area, the individual responsible for that Special Campus Area. University officials should consult with the Office of University Counsel before removing a Posting because its content is unlawful or otherwise prohibited by law.
5. Request for waivers or exceptions to the Posting Procedures must be made to Business Services or his/her designated representative or if the Posting will occur in a Special Campus Area, the individual responsible for the Special Campus Area in which the Posting will occur. Any waiver or exception shall be decided on a case-by-case basis and without regard to the content of the speech.
- Effective Date: This policy will become effective upon the date of approval by the Senior Vice President for Administration and Finance and the Provost and Executive Vice President.
- Date of Most Recent Review: June 8, 2021
VII. TIMETABLE FOR REVIEW
This policy, and any related procedures, shall be reviewed every three years or more frequently as needed.
Carol D. Kissal
Senior Vice President, Administration and Finance
Mark R. Ginsberg
Provost and Executive Vice President
Date approved: May 24, 2004
Revised:April 6, 2015
Revised: May 18, 2021